Wednesday, 8 June 2022
Wednesday, 18 May 2022
Jacob Palaparambil, "Richard De Smet's Discovery of the Notion of 'Person' in Adi Sankaracarya's Advaita Vedanta," defence, 16 May 2022
Jacob Palaparambil's defence at the UPS, Rome. Scaria Thuruthiyil, 1st reader; Bryan Lobo, SJ, 2nd reader, Mauro Mantovani, 3rd reader. President: Andrea Bozzolo.
Most of the questions were about De Smet's interpretation of Sankara and its correctness, rather than about Jacob's interpretation of De Smet.
Suggestions by Mauro Mantovani: (1) develop analogy, just as you have developed relation; (2) expand also on attributes; (3) read Gilles Emery, on q. 28 of the S.Th.
He also said Thomas spoke of two notions of person, one suitable for the human person, the other for the divine persons.
Bryan Lobo asked about person and reincarnation and moksa: without the body in moksa, is there a person or not? [But in Christian theology we have the same problem: is the separated soul a person, if person refers to the integrity of a being?]
He also asked about intuition: did De Smet speak about intuition? is there not an intuition at least in the mystical experience? that surely is not reasoning. [The Marechal tradition does not like the notion of intuition. and not Lonergan either. But one would have to examine De Smet's writings on the matter. He certainly wrote about the supreme experience.]
Saturday, 9 April 2022
The following items on Thomas Stephens and the Khristapurana were kindly signalled to me by Prof. Dr. S.M. Tadkodkar on 27 March 2022:
1). Amonkar, Suresh Gundu., Christ-Puraanna, (based on the version of Christian Puraanna (originally written by Father Thomas Stephens, 1616), which was edited by Joseph L. Saldhana, 1907) into Konkani language and Edited. Published by Directorate of Art and Culture, Government of Goa, Panaji, Tiswadi, Goa, 2017, pages 1070, price Rs. 1600.00
2). Tadkodkar, S. M. "सुरेशबाब आमोणकारान केल्लें ‘ख्रिस्तपुराणा’चें कोंकणीकरण :संशोधनपर अणकाराचो आदर्श" ('Introduction') (पानांक V to XXVI), ख्रिस्तपुराण (पाद्री तोमास इश्तेव्ह,१६१६) : अणकार आनी सम्पादन, सुरेश गुण्डू आमोणकार, कला आनी संस्कृती संचालनालय, गोंय राज्य-शासन, पणजी-गोंय, २०१७, मोल रुपये एक सहस्र सशे, पानां १०७० ;
3). Tadkodkar, S. M., पाद्री तोमास इश्तेव्हंचे मराठी भाषेतील ‘क्रिस्तपुराण’, (पृष्ठांक २९१-३१४), बीजग्रंथ आणि बीजग्रंथकार, (डॉ० मधुकर रामदास जोशी गौरवग्रंथ), सम्पादक : राम आर्वीकर, श्रीमंगेश प्रकाशन, नागपूर, २०१०, पृष्ठे २४०
I have added them at the end of the "Thomas Stephens: updated bibliography" on this blog.
• Barnes, Michael. "The first English Jesuit in India: The remarkable story of Thomas Stephens SJ." See https://www.thinkingfaith.org/articles/first-english-jesuit-india-remarkable-story-thomas-stephens-sj
Sunday, 20 February 2022
- “Christianity and Sankaracarya.” St. Thomas Christian Encyclopedia of India. Copy of typescript, 68 pp. (more or less - there are more, actually, because of uneven numbering, and unnumbered pages containing footnotes).
- “The Dynamics of Contemplation according to Shankaracarya.” Comunicazione per lo [sic] Congresso di Semiotica del Testo Mistico. Prof. Giuseppe de Gennaro, Università dell’Aquila, Telefax 0862/432113. On letterhead of Casa Scrittori, Via dei Penitenzieri, 20 – 00193 Roma. 11 pp typescript.
- “A Mirror for Provincials.” For Ignis. Dt. 28.10.90. Letterhead of Istititum Historicum Societatis Iesu / Istituto Storico della Compagnia di Gesù, Via dei Penitenzieri 20, 00193 Roma. Typescript of 3 pp.
- [Biodata.] typescript of 1 p.
- “Publications of Dr. Richard V. De Smet, Ph.D. S.J.” typescript of 3 pp.
Friday, 29 October 2021
Scott Randall Paine, <email@example.com> 27.10.2021:
A Descoberta da Pessoa - Richard De Smet, 16 sep 2021
Tuesday, 23 March 2021
27.06.2020Dear Father Coelho,I saw your blog instalment of 2010 and wondered whether you might still have a PDF file of the following document, which I believe you made available at that time, but the link has been broken in the intervening decade.Joseph L. Saldanha. 1907. The Christian Puránna of Father Thomas Stephens of the Society of Jesus, A Work of the 17th Century, reproduced from manuscript copies and edited with a Biographical Note, an introduction, an English Synopsis of Contents and Vocabulary (4th edition). Bolar, Mangalore: Simon Alvares, Esq.I wish you good healthy and safety in these perilous times.Many thanks in advance,Prof. Dr. George van DriemUniversity of Berngeorge.firstname.lastname@example.orgDear Dr George,sorry, I saw this just now.here you are, the pdf of the Saldanha version...I would be happy to know more about your work and interest in the KP.wishes,Ivo
27 Jan 2021, 14:41
to meDear Father Ivo,Thank you so much.As for my own research, all of my publications are downloadable from my university webpage (except for some of the books).Many good wishes from snowy Bern,George
Thursday, 21 January 2021
16 Jan 2021, 10:37 (5 days ago)